It can be hard to watch as your furry friend declines and shows visible signs of aging. You may need to change various aspects of your home and lifestyle to help your dog adjust. Your dog may not be as active, or they may struggle to maneuver around the house like they used to.
As your dog matures, it becomes even more important to maintain a nutritious well-balanced diet. In addition to a healthy and balanced diet, look for supplements for senior dogs that cover these essential nutritional needs to ensure they have everything they need for healthy aging.
Mobility and Joint Health
The most visible sign of aging in your mature dog is likely going to be in their mobility and joint health. A mature dog might struggle on hikes and walks they used to do easily. They might need help with stairs or getting into the car. Eventually, even getting up from lying down might become a challenge.
There are many nutrients that become critically important when it comes to maintaining mobility and joint health in aging dogs. Look for joint supplement for senior dogs that contain the following nutrients:
- Omega 3s - Most dogs don’t get enough quantities of the right type of Omega 3s. There are many fatty acids within the Omega 3 family. From those, the two super stars, called EPA and DHA, are the most critical to maintaining the healthy function of joints, eyes, skin and the brain. Omega 3s are powerhouse nutrients that help to reduce inflammation, keep cell membranes healthy, and boost the immune system.
- Hyaluronic acid (Sodium hyaluronate) - Hyaluronic acid (HA), is a clear, viscous liquid naturally produced by your dog’s body. Its primary function is to retain water around the joint to promote regular lubrication and shock absorption. Senior dogs tend to have lower concentrations of HA in their joints, which may contribute to a loss of flexibility and decreased range of motion.
- Glucosamine Sulphate - Glucosamine sulphate is one of the essential building blocks for healthy tendons, ligaments, cartilage and synovial fluid (the dense liquid that lubricates joints).
- Vitamin E - Vitamin E is an essential component of a healthy diet for senior dogs, particularly for brain and cognitive health. Vitamin E is also a powerful antioxidant that may help to reduce the cellular damage caused by free radicals that could interfere with the normal health and function of joint tissue.
- Zinc - Zinc is a powerful antioxidant critical for a variety of cellular processes. Zinc also plays an essential role in maintaining collagen, which is vital for senior dogs’ joint health.
Our Hike Again formula contains all of these nutrients and more to help dogs over the age of seven maintain their mobility and joint health. If your dog is showing signs of reduced mobility, they could benefit from Hike Again.
Immune and Digestive Health
As dogs age, their digestion, gastrointestinal health and immune system may not perform as it used to.The best supplements for senior dogs will include the following to support immune and digestive health:
- Vitamin C - Vitamin C is widely known to support immune health, which is why we reach for it when we feel the onset of a cold. Vitamin C is also an important antioxidant for mature dogs that supports their immune system by enhancing white blood cell function and activity.
- Probiotics - Your dog’s microbiome is made up of bacteria and other microorganisms. It is important to maintain the balance of your dog’s microbiome in order to maintain digestive health. Probiotics for mature dogs will help to increase the diversity and number of healthy bacteria in the gut.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid - Alpha-Lipoic Acid is a well-studied antioxidant with neuro-protective properties in aging dogs. Alpha-Lipoic Acid has been called an "Universal Antioxidant" for its ability to remain biologically active in both fatty and aqueous tissues and its role facilitating regeneration of other antioxidants, including Vitamin C and E.
- L-Carnitine - Every cell in your dog’s body needs energy to function, fight disease, and repair cellular damage. L-Carnitine is an important part of supporting a cell’s energy. It facilitates the use of Omega 3 fatty acids as fuel to sustain energy production.
- Beta-Glucan - Beta-glucans are a type of prebiotics that have been shown to stimulate immune responses in senior dogs. Clinical studies prove that adding prebiotics like beta-glucans to a dog's diet can improve overall immune response and improve the benefits of probiotics.
Our Shield Again formula contains all of these essential nutrients and more. Shield Again is the first Canadian Veterinary Health Product developed with DE111®, a clinically proven probiotic that helps to maintain healthy digestion, immunity, and nutrient absorption in dogs. It supports your mature dog’s immunity and digestive systems by providing a perfect combination of probiotics, antioxidants, amino acids and fatty acids.
The best supplements for senior dogs will have the specific needs of dogs seven-years and older in mind. The right formulations for your mature dog’s needs will help support healthy aging so that you and your dog can enjoy quality time well into their golden years.